DEFINITION OF SCIATICA PAIN-
The medical name of sciatica pain is known as Radiculopathy. Sciatica pain is also is caused by compression of a spinal nerve root in the lower back. It can be often cause owing to degeneration of an intervertebral disc. Sciatica pain affects the back, hip, and outer side of the leg. It also describes signs of leg pain and may be due to numbness, tingling, and weakness that originate in the lower back and reaches the distance between the buttock and down the large sciatic nerve in the back part of the leg.
Sciatica pain is not a disease in itself, it is a symptom of medical basis of medical condition, such as a degenerative disc, lumbar herniated disc, or spinal stenosis. It is a pain in the lower extremity resulting from irritation of the sciatic nerve.
Sciatica pain can transform to constant and incapacitating from irritating and infrequent. There are different sciatica symptoms and severity in a different location based upon the condition causing sciatica like spinal stenosis or lumbar herniated disc.
The different situation of pain can be observed in different people. It can be severe and debilitating for some people and can be infrequent and irritating for others, also it can become worse and feel like a burning sensation or like a jolt or electric shock.
Almost 90% of the sciatica situation is due to spinal disc herniation pressing on one of the sacral or lumbar nerve roots. Other diseases which can be responsible for sciatica pain are spinal stenosis, piriformis syndrome, spondylolisthesis, pelvic tumors and also during pregnancy.
SYMPTOMS OF SCIATICA PAIN-
- Tingling or burning in the lower part of the leg.
- A nonstop pain on one side of the rear.
- While sitting worse pain in the leg or rear.
- Difficulty in standing due to a shooting pain.
- One-sided pain can be felt in lower body which extends from the lower back to back of the thigh and down through leg.
- Numbness and Muscle weakness in the affected leg or foot.
CAUSES OF SCIATICA PAIN-
- Disc degeneration occurs with aging which irritates nerve root and causes sciatica pain.
- The lumbar herniated disc which occurs when the soft inner core of the disc leaks out is also a most common symptom of sciatica pain.
- Due to a narrowing of the spinal canal, Lumbar Spinal Stenosis occurs which commonly causes sciatica.
- When the nerve can get the pinched cause of Isthmic Spondylolisthesis, Sciatic nerve pain can get occurred.
- Due to Piriformis Syndrome, when the piriformis muscle pinches a nerve root which comprises the sciatic nerve and can cause Sciatica pain.
- When the irritation of the sacroiliac joint which can also irritate the L5 nerve, can also occur sciatica pain.
- During Pregnancy, Sciatica type of pain can be felt.
- Due to being overweight, not exercising regularly, Sciatica pain can occur.
- Due to wearing high heels.
- Due to sleeping on a mattress that is too soft.
- The roots of the sciatic nerve may get compressed due to Tumors within the spine.
- Due to the infected spine.
- Due to the injured spine.
- PIVD ( Prolapse intervertebral disc)
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTS FOR SCIATICA PAIN-
- PHYSICAL DIAGNOSIS:-
- Checking muscle strength and reflexes.
- S.L.R ( straight leg raising )
- Painful ROM
- IMAGINARY DIAGNOSIS:-
– MRI: With the help of a powerful magnet and radio waves, the MRI produces cross-sectional images of your back. Also gives a detailed image of soft tissues and bone.
– X-Ray: With the help of an X-Ray machine, an overgrowth of bone that may be pressing on a nerve can be diagnosed.
– EMG: With the help of an Electromyography the electrical impulses produced by the nerves and muscles are responded. It confirms the nerve compression caused due to narrowing of your spinal stenosis.
– CT Scan: In the procedure called CT Myelogram, a contrast dye injected into your spinal canal, which circulates around the spinal cord and spinal nerves, appears white on the scan.
HOME TREATMENT FOR SCIATICA PAIN-
- You can use hot and cold compresses alternately. Due to hot packs, tense muscles relax which may compress.
- With the help of cold ice packs, the swelling around the nerve reduces and numbs the pain.
- Massage can be helpful in reducing sciatica pain and helps the body to heal the sciatica pain by itself.
- Turmeric is also used for its anti-inflammatory properties. It can be used to reduce inflammation and nerve pain.
- Cayenne pepper can be also which contains an active ingredient known as capsaicin which can be used as a natural pain reliever.
PHYSIOTHERAPY TREATMENT FOR SCIATICA PAIN-
There are certain treatment provided by your doctor for healing sciatica pain-
- Exercises for sciatica pain
- Self-Trigger Point therapy
- Pigeon Pose
- Low Lunge
- Frog Pose
- Foam Roll To Hip Rotator
- Reclining Cow’s Face Pose
- Reclined Pigeon With Prep
- Simple Seated Twist
- Standing Twist
- Sciatica Mobilising stretch
- Knee to Chest stretch
- Standing Hamstring stretch
- Lying Deep Gluteal stretch
- Back Extensions stretch
- Piriformis Stretch
- Seated Hip Stretch
- TENS: Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulators of electrode placement of sciatica. Electrodes can be placed over painful areas. Electrode placement for sciatic nerve pain
- SWD: Short Wave Diathermy produce effects in deep tissues by high-frequency currents, with the use of radio-frequency electromagnetic fields for therapeutic heating of tissues.