Childhood Obesity is one of the major and very rapidly growing health issue among children, When a child is well above the normal or healthy weight of his or her age and height than the condition of the child is known as obesity. It has reached outbreak levels in both developing and in developed countries.
Childhood obesity is a serious concern for kids because childhood obesity makes them vulnerable to serious medical conditions like high blood pressure, diabetes bone problems, early heart diseases, and high cholesterol. Also in the future, they become obese adults. Childhood obesity also leads to poor self-esteem and lack of self-confidence.
Various factors may contribute to your child’s weight, including family history, mental health issues, socioeconomic status, and lifestyle habits. Some of these are within your control, while others aren’t some of the causes of childhood obesity are given below
Causes of childhood obesity-
- Poor eating habits play a great role in the obesity epidemic.
- Lack of exercise.
- Heavily rely on fast foods such as candy, sodas, processed foods, packaged foods, sugary items, oily foods, and white bread and pasta.
- Decrease in outdoor physical activities by children due to television, mobile phones, video games, etc.
- Sometimes the child suffers from obesity because it might be hereditary.
Prevention of childhood obesity:-
- Healthy eating-Include fruits and vegetables in more quantity in your kid’s meal. Decrease the number of sweetened beverages. Limit fast food which consists of a high amount of fat and calories. Do not let your kid watch television or use mobile during meal time. Also, serve appropriate portion sizes.
- Physical activity- Limit the screen time (time used for computers, mobile phones, and television) of your child. Also, emphasize activity much not exercise. Create his or her interest in free playing games such as hide and seek, tag or jump rope- can be a great for burning calories and improving fitness.
- Medications- One can also visit doctors for proper weight loss plan which might include medicines.
Dr. Sunil Tank