Bursitis is an inflammation of bursa due to injury or overuse of joint.bursa is a synovial membrane small fluid-filled sac lined, which provides the cushion between tendon, muscles or bone, around the joint. The normal bursa allows the frictionless movement at joint.bursa mostly present overall major joint in the body.
when bursitis happened then movement over the joint is very painful and restricted due to inflammation at joint, continues movement in bursitis will increase inflammation, pain, swelling and it can damage the joint also.
Shoulder bursitis is very common in the young athlete or weight trainer because of lifting heavy weight without muscle strength and coordination or throwing, twisting arm repetitive, injury over the shoulder while playing games can affect the shoulder bursa.
Causes of bursitis
Bursitis mostly happened to those people who are giving continuous repetitive load over the joint, like sports person who running, jumping or doing repetitive activities without properly warming up can inflame the burse at joint.
Some other causes of bursitis are:
- Arthritis ( Rheumatoid & gout)
- Lifting heavy object repeatedly
- Poor posture
- Strenuous or repeated physical activity
Symptoms of bursitis
- Tenderness over the joint
- Increase local area temperature
- Movement restricted
Treatment for bursitis
Bursitis treatment depends on the causes of inflammation, In cases where bursitis is not caused by infection then treatment will focus on decreasing inflammation and pain.
- Ice compression is advised to relief in pain and swelling
- Stop repeating a vigorous activity
- Specially design sling can be used to avoid load over the joint.
- Anti-inflammatory medicine suggested for reducing inflammation and pain.
- Aspiration of fluid to relieve pressure over the bursa
Physiotherapy treatment for bursitis
In the case of bursitis, physiotherapy can help you in reducing pain, swelling and stiffness of the joint.physiotherapist are having electromodelitis which is very useful in pain and swelling condition example: Ultrasound therapy, Laser therapy, cryotherapy, hot packs etc.
Physiotherapy aims for bursitis:
- Reduce pain and swelling
- Improve flexibility
- Improve strength
- Improve posture
- Return to activity.
The physio point